Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Leaving New Jersey

We're pretty much done with NJ. The cost of living is killing us and we didn't buy a house above our means and we don't live an extravagant lifestyle either. We're not up to our eyeballs in debt yet we're just getting by. We have everything we need sure, but very little extra. Our property taxes are going up again. We'll be well over $9K (which is where we're at now) by the end of the summer. There are dozens more things we hate about NJ (other taxes, super corrupt politicians, etc), it's time to leave. But wait, it's not that easy. NJ hits you up with a HUGE extra tax when you sell your house and leave the state, the exit tax if you will. 2% of the selling price of the house. WTF? Now if we could find someone stupid enough to buy our house, we could barely afford to move. Houses aren't moving right now, the market is dead.

Oh, where do I want to move to? I'll get to that in a second My priorities are a bit skewed but here they are:

1) Lower taxes
2) Concealed carry permits (I'd settle for just a carry permit though)
3) MUCH lover humidity and warmer climate
4) Bigger property (2+ acres) without the $600K or more price tag.
5) Not California
6) Less dense population

I don't have to worry about good schools since the boy will be done next year. I need the lower humidity and warmer climate because my arthritis is getting worse by the day. When it's 45-50 degrees and raining I can barely walk or use my hands. It's awful to have that at the ripe old age of 41. So we've narrowed it down to several areas of the southwest. Outside of Santa Fe, NM and the Flagstaff/Sedona areas of AZ. We've found several houses we love but the move is impossible right now. Mostly because we can't sell yet and the other more compelling reason is that the other half can't find any work. After showing him one house I loved (20 minutes outside of Santa Fe) , he started the job hunt. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada. Fuck. Nothing for sys admins/archs anywhere in the Santa Fe/Flagstaff areas.

Maybe in the next 2 years or so things will change. Here's hoping because I need to get the hell out of this place before I go insane.

14 comments:

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

I can offer everything except the lower humidity... :) AND there are two houses in my neighborhood for sale! ;)

Chris said...

I echo what Gunslinger said. Actually, the humidity isn't too bad in GA and is only over the summer (so it's not combined with cold). You get used to it.

He should extend his search to some bigger cities in the area like Albuquerque or El Paso. I lived in El Paso and loved it--I'd go back in a hearbeat, but I'm not sure my wife would. :)

-King Wulfgar

Laura said...

Slinger, what are the going rates for homes in your area? We're looking to spend less than NJ prices. Oh man, it would be so cool to live next door to you!

Laura said...

Chris, the only problems with Albuquerque or El Paso are the crime rates. We have relatives in both cities and we hear nothing but bad things about the crime problems. Especially in El Paso since it's right on the border. We've been to Albuquerque and didn't much care for it. Plus it's too damn hot in either place. LOL Much like Phoenix, too dang hot. Santa Fe and Flagstaff tend to be a bit cooler (meaning it won't be 120 in either place) due to the altitude. Heck, it even snows there which is what I'd love to have :)

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

I assume they are less than NJ prices here. Two in my neighborhood are ~2200sgft, 1 for 209k and the other for 203k, so about $100 per sgft. Prices in Tuscaloosa and over towards Birmingham get higher. We are between the two. And I KNOW property taxes are lower here.

Laura said...

Lower than NJ was a general figure because most places are lower than here LOL what I really meant was anything under $250K :) I found a couple of sweet houses in Cottondale that would be perfect by the way.

Tuck said...

Lets see.

Minnesota
1) Lower taxes - Possibly
2) Concealed carry permits (I'd settle for just a carry permit though) - yup we meet that one
3) MUCH lover humidity and warmer climate - less humidity yes, warmer - at some times of the year
4) Bigger property (2+ acres) without the $600K or more price tag. - Parts of the state yes
5) Not California - easy one
6) Less dense population yup

Hey how about MN ;-)

Seriously, I hope you can make something work for what you want.

Laura said...

We've kicked around Minnesota many times. I'm not sure I could deal with that kind of cold though.

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

My neighbor, who I don't want to move BTW but he took another job, put his on the market for bottom dollar. It's a little smaller than some of the other houses in the neighborhood at 1800sgft, but he is asking $155k and offering to pay closing.

What does Chris do exactly? The Univ of Alabama had a posting for some network/IT positions. Other than the University, Birmingham would probably be his only market around here.

Laura said...

Sys admin or sys arch. Linux, Unix and Sun, not Winblows. That's why it's so difficult to find a job in the secondary markets.

Th3Guns1ing3r said...

The University used to have a huge Sun/Unix system, but I don't know if that is what the listings were for.

Laura said...

Chris said he'd like to live down by you. Alabama sounds just fine by him :)

Tuck said...

It only goes sub zero for a couple of weeks in Jan.

Laura said...

Tuck, what towns in MN would you recommend? We're looking to spend the least amount possible LOL